About.

My photo
Visual Journalism Student/ Photographer/Fashion Blogger. I love finding beauty where others don't, and I believe art can be found almost everywhere. Old and new, we can learn from all, and getting to a place where you can realize that is probably the most freeing a person can feel ever. But basically I love Fashion, and the designers are the artists with visions and their canvas' are us and the world, and I love helping spreading that message. "Ultimately isn't that fashion is about? We're all a bunch of big kids playing dress up." Feel free to e-mail me @ andrewwwhester@gmail.com to talk about anything!

Add STOPTALKING.

Bookmark and Share

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Black Swan x RODARTE



Black Swan starring Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis, and also a brief appearance by Winona Ryder (and a VERY brief cameo by Sebastian Stan) has already been nominated for 4 Golden Globes, and the release to the public was only yesterday. The psychological thriller directed by Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, Pi) turns, the ABC (American Ballet Company) into a madhouse when the head ballerina is let go and the company's director has a plan to present a fresh face, "Nina", (Portman) to play the infamous role of Swan Queen in his modern version of 'Swan Lake'. I wanted to see the film because it looked amazing and creepy good by way of the juxtaposition of the main stage at Lincoln Center and the mentally unstable mind of Nina.

(Winona Ryder, "Beth")
(White Swan transformation, Black Swan)
(Black and White Swan sketches by Kate Mulleavy)
(Portman, (in what looks like a Rodarte open-knit sweater tank)
(Portman and Rodarte)
(Natalie Portman in Rodarte)

Although, I'm not going to lie, I had my doubts, but my first real kick-start to the theater was when I heard that Rodarte sisters, Kate and Laura Mulleavy were designing the costumes for the film. No surprise, they're amazing, and I'm pretty sure the costumes included all the way down to the arm warmers and even the knitted tank (with the classic Rodarte open knit Alpaca sweater detail) that Natalie Portman is wearing when she first begins to discover her inner "black" self, if I may. Portman has worn Rodarte on many occasions so it didn't take much to transform her into the straight from the runway form she has already.

Black Swan - 3 STARS.

No comments:

Post a Comment